Monday, April 24, 2023

Entry #9 - I Eat What I Want



America is the biggest melting pot in the world. No other country has a more diverse set of ethnicities, cultures, and diverse backgrounds. Yet, with that said, sometimes I wonder how we have become a society where discernment for what is healthy and appropriate is no longer valued. 

I cannot stop watching this video. However, I do not know the creator's intentions and how they want viewers to interpret its meaning. There are two ways I approach its purpose. 

The first is trying to show people what processed and junk foods do to the body. The cartoon figure chooses to be surrounded by foods that harm the body. Its body type would be considered at high risk of many medical conditions by maintaining a diet of these foods. While the figure may be enjoying the momentary enjoyment of eating toxic foods, most people know that the consequences of this behavior will have more prolonged side effects.

The second will be the more popular, modern American approach. This is my body, my choice, and you cannot criticize my behavior. While I agree a person is entitled carte blanche over their body, this does not preclude them from receiving negative feedback. We need to stop celebrating the actions of people causing apparent self-harm. These actions affect the individual and significantly impact the medical system. The CDC reports that obesity costs the US healthcare system 173 billion annually! People do not have to have the lifestyle and body type of those pictured on the covers of fitness magazines.  Our society must promote a healthier lifestyle with a positive, inclusive attitude to benefit us all.

1 comment:

  1. Name : Nazeef Adoi

    Hi, Curtis i read your blog and you make a great point about how America is the pinnacle point and place of self destructive and indulging habits. People do not know the meaning of too much

    ReplyDelete

Entry #10 -- What Should I Say

So for my tenth and final blog, I want to discuss free speech. Every blog post, whether or not it should, always is chosen to make the most ...