Thursday, April 20, 2023

Entry #8- Who's the Best?

I watch and read a lot of news all day, every day. My job requires it at work, and I like knowing what's happening around me. The news can be as diverse as international diplomacy to who the Kardashians are currently dating. I love the information, and it doesn't matter which political slant the publication leans. I watch CNN, Fox News, Reuters, NPR, BBC, Vox, etc. If you don't try to understand where an opposing viewpoint comes from, how can you defend your beliefs? A previous blog led me to the writing about the "China Balloon" based on current headlines, and today it's about participation trophies and trying to create equal outcomes for all.
 
Image Source
 As a Nation, we seem to be lowering or eliminating standards with justifications such as Covid or equity to make more people qualify for whatever they are going for. In New York, the criteria for English and Math were lowered; in Memphis, the bar for becoming a police officer was reduced, and in Alaska, it's becoming even easier to become a lawyer. In my recent experience, the Air Force lowered the physical fitness standards, and to my understanding, all the services are making it easier for people to qualify for enlistment.

Does it really broaden the field for a more significant number of people that should be qualified to qualify, or are we gravitating towards a society based upon its weakest link? Do we want to trust that our doctors know a lot because they studied well in school and achieved good grades? Do we want expert engineers building the planes we fly in?

There's a great short story called Harrison Bergeron, written by Kurt Vonnegut, that I was assigned to read in junior high. The story's plot was that the government placed items on people that handicapped them to the point where they were no better than anyone else at an activity. Is this the direction we are headed? Some people were blessed with an aptitude in certain areas more than others. We should appreciate their talents and figure out where our own unique talents lie. 




3 comments:

  1. Hey Curtis, I believe yeah people should try to aim for a career or things they qualify for but I also believe you should give people chances to do what they want with their life and if lowering standards of a test for example helps many people pursue their dreams easier, I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Isaac! Thank you for discussing this! How far should standards be lowered? How far are you willing to risk daily activities in order to accommodate new lower standards? For example, let's say your mom has to have a triple bypass. Do you want the doctor skilled with complex heart surgeries or the doctor who, for whatever reason, is not as capable but can now perform this surgery due to new standards? As a former air traffic controller in the Navy, this nominee scared me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEj2Yq0okzU. Please take a moment to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Name: Nazeef Adoi
    Hey Curtis you wrote a great blog about a very broad but interesting topic. The moral of it is to help people be in a better position to qualify for what they want to go for .

    ReplyDelete

Entry #10 -- What Should I Say

So for my tenth and final blog, I want to discuss free speech. Every blog post, whether or not it should, always is chosen to make the most ...