Entry #1. Different Altitude, Different Attitude
Hello down there! It's me, Curtis, here to tell you about my favorite pastime, hiking. I have not always been a hiker. It is a hobby I have taken up in the past six or so years. Most of my life has been spent in southern Louisiana, where it's difficult to even find a hill. I have learned Arizona is a fantastic place to get into this great hobby from the beginner levels to advanced, from the youngest of ages to the oldest.
![]() |
This is me at the top of Picacho Peak, posing in deep thought while looking down at I-10. |
I recommend bringing a ballcap, sunglasses, Camelbak filled with water, light snacks, sunscreen, broken in hiking shoes, and a phone that will not have signal most of the hike, but will be able to capture all the sights you will miss once returning home. After these essentials are ready, it's time to go on an adventure! Most of my hikes have primarily been in the general Phoenix area. Others have been as far south as Sierra Vista and north to Sedona.
Today, let's talk about my three favorite hikes based on difficulty level. The first is the Waterfall Trail in the White Tank Mountains over in the West Valley. It is paved and an easy one to bring even your youngest. It does get quite crowded on weekends, so its best to try to find a weekday. There are lots of places to stop and get cute pictures of your kids exploring and climbing rocks. The waterfall at the end will more than likely be underwhelming, because its more of a trickle. Rumor has it that after a hard rain it is much better. You will get reminded of the Native American history here in Arizona when you spot the hieroglyphics on some of the rocks.
Abel, age 2, on the Waterfall Trail
![]() |
| Picacho Peak climbing! |


Hi Curtis. I love your pictures, thank you for sharing. Able is such a cutie! I like to take my son hiking as well. Have you been hiking at the Mogollion Rim area? That is my favorite part of the state, especially Christopher Creek.
ReplyDelete